For a long time, many of our consumer habits have appeared to have no consequence. It is now quite apparent that there is an imbalance in standards of living throughout the world which is fuelled by the continuing short changing and exploitation of labour markets in the so called third world.
We don't believe anyone who is truly aware of what is going on in the world would want to turn their heads and support a slave trade economy.
We decided to do something about it. We wanted all are products to be made from Certified fair trade organic clothing that is ethically and sustainably made from seed to garment. This would result in better and happier world yarn by yarn.
Our team of happy workers make products that are happy. Our small efforts give them hope for a better tomorrow.
Thank you for believing in what we do.
“The World Health Organisation estimates that 20,000 people a year die in developing countries from pesticide poisoning, and a further 3 million people suffer chronic health problems”
At Brown Boy we only use 100% fair trade certified cotton, as certified by the Fairtrade labelling Organisation and the benefits are:
- The Fairtrade guaranteed minimum price covers the costs of production and provides a sustainable livelihood for our cotton producers.
- The Fairtrade premium enables co-operatives to fund projects that benefit the organisation and wider community: business and agricultural training; drilling bore holes for clean water; building schools and clinics.
- Brown Boy fair trade producers benefit from advance payment and long-term relationships with buyers.
- Brown Boy fair trade producer groups are democratically run and respect the rights of farmers and farm workers.
- Fair trade production standards encourage sustainable agriculture and protection of the environment.
“Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land, yet it accounts for 25% of the world’s insecticide market and 10% of global pesticide sales, making it the most pesticide-intensive crop grown on the planet”
Brown Boy only uses 100% organic certified cotton and the benefit are:
- Never uses genetically modified seeds.
- Conserves soil though crop rotation.
- Retains water more efficiently thanks to increased organic matter in the soil.
- Controls weeds through physical removal rather than chemical destruction.
- Controls insects by maintaining a balance between “pests” and their natural predators through healthy soils.
- Only works with certified organic cotton.
- All fabric is dyed using Global Organic Textiles Standard (GOTS) approved dyes which are free of hazardous elements such as nickel, lead, formaldehyde, amines, pesticides and heavy metals.
- Employees receive a living wage and factory pays for their social security and pension funds.
- Employees receive House Rent, which is 5% of their basic wages.
- Employees receive free transport services to the factory.
- Employees receive paid holiday leave, medical insurance, subsidies lunches and overtime pay.
- Employees children all receive free schooling.
- Employees work in a well lit, well ventilated and spacious working environment.
- Benefit from work place unions.